Friday, May 20, 2011

DIY Photo Collage

I've wanted a photo collage in our living room since last fall, but have been turned away for several reasons:
           - Photo collage 'kits' (I guess you can call them) only had select frames. I wanted most frames to
             be matted, and I didn't want frames that fit several photos.
           - Frames are expensive! At $15+ each, it was a little more than I was willing to spend.

After months of debating and searching, I finally had the frames that I wanted. This is where my OCD kicked in. I knew that I wanted the collage to cover the majority of the space on the wall, but I wanted to make sure it was generally centered, and that they didn't look exactly spaced out.

I arranged the frames on the carpet to get a general pattern and to avoid placing several of the same frames next to each other. 


One of several attempts.





  After, I found an extremely helpful tutorial on how to hang them. You trace the frames onto cheap paper (I used moving paper that we have for projects, but paper grocery bags work well, too), and cut them out. Label each cut out with a short description of the photo. Line the cut out to fit the back of the frame. With your fingers, feel for the loops where the nails will go and punch holes into the paper. (I didn't get a picture of this step).  With blue painters tape, tape the cut outs in the pattern you want. This makes it easier to move the cutouts and make adjustments. When you are satisfied, locate the holes you punched and nail the cut outs to the wall. Replace the cut outs with the frames.
    


Sorry for the poor quality; It was evening.






































































 
Final result - slightly different than my original template.


**Sorry for the weird spacing of the pictures. Blogger is such a pain when it comes to loading pictures, and then heaven forbid you have more to type...

3 comments:

Hillary said...

I did one of these in my living room too. I am going to make a post of my living room soon, so everyone can see. I love the photo collages

Peter and Ashley said...

I think once I feel 'finished' with rooms in our place I'll post pictures of more. Though, Im not totally sure that I'll ever feel finished, haha. I love collages :) And large clocks, actually.

Alanna said...

Tutorials are the best. I can't wait until we have our own apt (July!) so that I can start doing things like this :)