Thursday, May 27, 2010

Banana Pudding!

If I had my way, I would visit Manhattan as often as humanly possible, if not live there. I am one hundred percent in love with everything about it, including (and often emphasized) the food. Anyone who has ever been to NY has visited Magnolia Bakery. Or at least they should have. I have an undisclosed source that provided me with the recipe they use for banana pudding - one of my favorites!

Magnolia Bakery's Banana Pudding

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 1/2 cups ice cold water

1 (3.4-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix

3 cups heavy cream

1 (12-ounce) box Nabisco Nilla Wafers

5 cups sliced ripe bananas


In a small bowl, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined, about 1 minute. I like to add about a cup (measured before) of pureed banana to the pudding. Add the pudding mix and beat well, about 2 minutes more. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight, before continuing. It is very important to allow the proper amount of time for the pudding mixture to set.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the pudding mixture into the whipped cream until well blended and no streaks of pudding remain.

To assemble the dessert, place 2-3 semi-crushed up Nilla wafers in the bottom of a clear plastic cup (the recipe calls for the entire dessert to go into one large glass container, but I prefer individual servings). Place several banana slices on top of wafers. Scoop a generous spoonful of pudding on top off wafers and bananas. Continue layering until cup is full. The recipe should yield about 18 individual serving cups. Cover cups tightly with plastic wrap and allow to refrigerate for at least four hours (but no more than eight).

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh. I am SO hungry now! Banana pudding is one of my favorites. Why don't we live closer so we can cook/eat/laugh while our husbands are busy?!

Peter and Ashley said...

I totally agree!