Sunday, May 23, 2010

New Recipes

I am no chef. Nor do I want to be. But I do love finding new recipes and playing with them to make them better. This week, I decided to try 2 new recipes. And so the search began. I have been an avid Food Network user to find something new, but I've never fallen in love with any. I've watched a few episodes of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and decided to look up some of his recipes for something new. The man is amazing. Finding dishes that both my husband and I would like (we dislike what the other likes, generally) is simple, and the cooking directions are easy to follow. There is always a description of the origin of the dish, which is interesting.

The first dish I made was Beautiful Courgette Carbonara, and it was a hit.


The pasta sauce is a great change from the usual Alfredo, Vodka or tomato sauce. The raw eggs kind of weirded me out, but you couldn't taste the egg. I used half and half instead of whole cream, and half the bacon it called for. I would recommend you allow the pasta and veggies to cool down to about about a luke warm temperature, otherwise the eggs scramble. I thought it had cooled enough, but they still scrambled a little. Overall, the dish was a success!

The second dish I made was Hunter's Chicken Stew (pollo alla cacciatora).


It's not much of a stew, but rather a sauce for the chicken. It takes a little while to prep, but if you space it out, it's really not that bad. I only marinated the chicken for about 5.5 hours, and only used chicken breasts. This is my new favorite dish. I was concerned about the anchovies, but you couldn't taste them. I would also suggest skinless chicken, because the marinade didn't reach the meat underneath.
Overall, it was amazing.

I would recommend using Jamie's recipes, and I am actually considering buying several of his cook books.

1 comment:

Anne Entsminger said...

My favorite Jamie Oliver cookbook is Jamie at Home. He even had a series on Food Network that corresponded with it. He is amazing, I agree with you!